Dr. Cabrera received his prestigious board certification in metabolic and bariatric surgery in 2017 from Cirugía para la Obesidad, CMCOEM. Also known as metabolic surgeons CMCOEM. Dr. Ismael Cabrera is an accomplished bariatric surgeon and has had training in the U.S. and Baja California. Dr. Cabrera started working exclusively with Mexico Bariatric Center (MBC) in 2012.
He has performed over 4,000 general surgeries, including his colleague and world-renown surgeon, Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela in 2016. His latest complication rate as of 2019 is less than 0.5% (United States complication rate is 2.5 to 4.5%).
For his training and education, Dr. Cabrera can perform the following weight-loss surgery:
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery (Sleeve Gastrectomy)
- Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB)
- Gastric Banding (LAP-BAND)
- Mini Gastric Bypass (MGB)
- Bariatric Revision Surgery
- Gastric Sleeve Plication
Dr. Ismael Cabrera’s experience includes training with top bariatric surgeon Dr. Juan Corvala – one of the premier teachers of laparoscopic surgery(Lap-Band). Dr. Cabrera has also undergone a 1-year certificate program at the Fresno (USA) Surgical Hospital.
Dr. Ismael Cabrera is always broadening his knowledge by attending the metabolic and obesity National and International seminars. He attended the 22nd World Congress of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Diseases. Also known as the congress of endoscopic surgery. This was held between 29 August – 2 September 2017 in England, UK. Read more
Dr. Ismael Cabrera has been traveling to the U.S. and provinces in Canada to educate the public about obesity since 2014. Dr. Cabrera has held seminars to inform patients how to fight obesity via bariatric medical tourism in Tijuana, Mexico. Here is the list of a few.
Training and Education
Dr. Ismael Cabrera’s extensive education is listed below:
- 1986-1992: Elementary School Puebla Mexico Institute of BC
- 1992-1995: June High School Puebla Mexico Institute of BC
- 1995-1998: High School Puebla Mexico Institute of BC
- 1988-2000: University UPAEP
- 2002-2003: Internship MIG specialty hospital, Mexico City
- 2003-2004: Social Service San Jose Ixtapa, Municipality of Canada Morelos Puebla, Puebla
- Surgery degree – CMN IMSS Hospital Northeast UMAE 25. Monterrey, Nuevo Leon.
- 2009-2010: Advances Laparoscopy Hospital Angeles Tijuana, HGR 1 IMSS Tijuana
Dr. Ismael Cabrera is also a member of the Mexican board of surgery.
Press Releases and News
- Dr. Ismael Cabrera and Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela, Performs 2,000 Bariatric and Metabolic Surgeries – PR Log
- Mexico Bariatric Center Acquires Two Top-Rated Bariatric Surgeons to Add to Their Staff – PR.com
- Dr. Ismael Cabrera attends the 20th World Congress IFSO in Vienna Austria
Reviews of Dr. Ismael Cabrera, MD
“There are many choices for gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico and the decision can be overwhelming. Many locations are simply offices in a strip mall and you don’t know how many surgeries the doctor has done. I decided on Dr. Cabrera and Doctors Hospital. They were professional from the beginning, answered all my questions the same day, and exceeded my expectations.”
– DAN, GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY (He lost over 50 pounds in the first month after surgery. Results may vary, please view our disclaimer page.)